Aviator sunglasses have stood as an enduring symbol of fashion for both men and women since their emergence in the 1930s and 40s. Initially designed to shield pilots’ eyes during flight, aviators have seamlessly transitioned into a fashionable accessory that adds a touch of self-assured style to any ensemble. For women, aviator sunglasses offer a classic means of making a fashion statement while radiating an air of effortless cool. This article delves into the historical significance of aviators, and their remarkable adaptability for women’s fashion, and provides insights for selecting the ideal pair to enhance your wardrobe.
- A Brief Evolution of Aviator Sunglasses
- Flattering Aviators for Women
- Unleashing Your Style with Aviators
- Selecting the Perfect Pair
- Frequently Asked Questions About Women's Aviator Sunglasses
A Brief Evolution of Aviator Sunglasses
Originating in the late 1930s at the request of the U.S. Army Air Corps, Bausch & Lomb developed the original aviator sunglasses to provide pilots with robust eye protection against high-altitude sun glare. These “Anti-Glare” shades featured large teardrop lenses, ensuring comprehensive eye coverage, while their metallic frames with adjustable nose pads ensure a secure fit.
Aviator Sunglasses: From Military Roots to Global Fame
Ray-Ban introduced its iconic Aviator model in 1937, inspired by the military design. These sunglasses gained immense popularity among pilots and the general public alike, with their ubiquity further cemented by photos of General Douglas MacArthur sporting Aviators during WWII’s Pacific theatre.
Aviators: Enduring Style Through Decades and Trends
Aviators remained a Hollywood fixture in the 1940s and 50s, adorning luminaries such as Robert Redford and Sylvia Sidney. Following a temporary decline in the 60s and 70s due to evolving eyewear trends, their resurgence in the 80s and 90s marked a return to vintage fashion. Today, Aviator sunglasses maintain their iconic status, offering an array of interpretations by luxury brands.
Flattering Aviators for Women
Aviator sunglasses hold a particular allure for women, stemming from various factors. The teardrop shape gracefully complements feminine facial features, characterized by gentle contours and angles. The expansive lenses offer substantial protection to the delicate eye area against the sun’s rays. Designed with a low bridge, aviators sit comfortably on women’s noses without discomfort.
Aviator Sunglasses: A Fusion of Confidence and Style
The bold metal frames serve as confident and stylish accents, striking a harmonious balance and drawing attention to the eyes. Unlike their appearance on some men, the proportions of aviators are remarkably well-suited to many women’s facial structures. The slim metal or wire arms contrast elegantly with the substantial front, resulting in a polished finish.
Aviators: Where Fashion Meets Functionality for Women
Beyond their aesthetic appeal, aviators are a versatile accessory, seamlessly integrating with both everyday casual wear like jeans and tees, as well as elevating more formal attire with their vintage sophistication. The tinted lenses also offer practical sun protection, rendering aviators suitable for various activities such as driving, travelling, or engaging in water sports. All in all, aviator sunglasses present an enduringly stylish and practical choice for women in search of eyewear that seamlessly marries fashion and function.
Unleashing Your Style with Aviators
One of the most compelling attributes of aviator sunglasses is their remarkable ability to complement a diverse array of women’s fashion sensibilities. Consider the following style suggestions:
- Casual Chic: Pair aviators with relaxed garments such as mom jeans, oversized button-down shirts, cropped tops, and sneakers or flat sandals. For an added sporty touch, top it off with a baseball cap.
- High Glamour: Elevate evening wear by coupling aviators with elegant dresses, strappy heels, and bold lipstick. Embrace the glamour of Hollywood for a captivating look.
- Retro Vibes: Embrace the spirit of the 1960s with aviators, a headscarf or bandana, and flared jeans or a mini-shift dress. Complete the ensemble with modish boots.
- Athleisure Appeal: Enhance athleisure ensembles with aviators. Pair them with leggings, oversized hoodies, baseball caps, and sneakers for an added touch of flair during coffee runs or travel days.
- Professional Polish: Infuse a classic edge into your office attire by incorporating aviators with blazers, tailored trousers, and sophisticated blouses. Just remember to remove them when indoors.
Selecting the Perfect Pair
The extensive variety of aviator styles available can make choosing the right pair a bit challenging. Here’s a guide to aid your selection process:
- Lens Size: Ensure the lens diameter complements the proportions of your face. Typical sizes range from 55mm to 65mm for women, guaranteeing comprehensive eye coverage.
- Bridge Width: Select a bridge width that ensures comfortable and secure positioning on your nose. Slimmer bridge measurements are suitable for narrower noses, with standard measurements usually ranging from 12mm to 14mm.
- Frame Color: While classic gold and silver tones remain perennial favourites, contemporary options such as rose gold, gunmetal, and coloured frames offer fresh twists. Opt for hues that complement your skin tone.
- Lens Color: Choose from classic options like grey, brown, and mirrored lenses. Alternatively, soft hues like pink or yellow-tinted lenses add a delicate touch. Polarized lenses are advisable for glare reduction.
- Material: Traditional aviators feature metal frames, yet some brands offer innovative acetate options. Prioritize high-quality glass or polycarbonate lenses for durability and resistance to scratches.
- Brands: Stick to reputable brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, Tom Ford, Gucci, and Prada for authentic, high-quality aviators. Specialized women’s lines are also worth considering.
With the right pair of aviator sunglasses, you’ll effortlessly elevate your ensemble and exude newfound confidence. The process of exploring different options is not only enjoyable but also rewarding, as you discover the perfect blend of physical fit and aesthetic charm. The surge in self-assurance alone justifies this venture!